Small businesses have to be creative when it comes to generating leads. As you grow your business, you need to find ways to get in front of your audience without spending every last dollar you have.
One of the best ways to do this is through the power of partnerships. Guest posting on blogs, teaming up with popular podcasts for an interview, and lending your expertise to webinars are all excellent ways to tap into new audiences and increase your brand footprint. As a bonus, you’ll likely boost your SEO simply by getting new links to your site.
Not sure where to start? Here’s a guide to help you decide the best plan of action for your business.
Why partnerships are perfect for small businesses.
As a small business, you’re likely working with a limited marketing budget. Perhaps you have some money to spend on Google or Social Media ads, but finding ways to reach new potential customers without spending too much of your funds is key.
By partnering with other businesses that have already built up a big audience, you can expand your brand reach with little to no investment at all. There are many blogs and podcasts out there who will host you and allow you to showcase your products or services without charging you—though you will need to put in some time to make sure you impress these influencers with the content you offer.
Partnering with other websites can also be a big boost for your SEO efforts. If you can find partners who will allow you to place a link to your site on their website, your overall site health will increase, thanks to what’s known as backlinking. The more high-quality backlinks you have pointing to your site, the more valuable your site is in the eyes of search engines like Google.
Step-by-step guide to finding partnerships.
If you’re looking for partnerships, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to find those that will work for your business:
1. Consider your audience. Don’t waste time going after partnerships that won’t put you in front of your audience. Think carefully about the blogs and podcasts your audience is most likely to subscribe to, narrowing your search.
2. Use Google to conduct industry searches. Google is the best tool for quickly and easily finding partnership opportunities. Use the search function to find opportunities within your industry. For example, if you run a hair salon, you might Google something like ‘beauty podcasts Australia’ or ‘hair care guest blogs’.
3. Carefully read submission guidelines. Before you start pitching to blogs or podcasts, make sure you thoroughly read their submission guidelines. These will tell you exactly what types of content/partnerships your target is looking for and give you tips on how to create a winning pitch.
4. Make it personal. If you’re targeting lots of partnerships, it’s tempting to copy your pitches over and over again. For real success, however, you need to find a way to make it personal. For example, when pitching a guest post to a blogger, tell them in your pitch which of their recent blogs you liked the most. This will help your pitch stand out and let the potential partner know you aren’t just spamming them.
5. Follow up. The most popular blogs, podcasts and webinar hosts will get lots of pitches every day. Don’t be afraid to politely follow up with anyone you pitch to after a few days—this will increase your chances of being selected as a partner.
Looking for other creative ways to find new leads and build out your pipeline? Download our eBook: Lead Generation for Small Businesses for just about everything you need to know.