What’s a ‘broken link’?
- When you click on a website link and it takes you to a message that the page doesn’t exist, that’s a broken link.
Why are broken links a bad thing?
- Google sees broken links as a sign your website is out of date, and will penalise you in search results.
- Broken links provide a bad user experience (UX) and will deter people from purchasing your product or service.
How do I fix broken links?
- Update your website regularly, checking that all pages and inbound links are working and that all outbound links still exist.
- Perform a Google Analytics test for pages returning 404 error messages, creating a spreadsheet of broken links that need to be fixed.